Thursday, July 29, 2010

MALAYSIAN SCRAMBLED EGGS


First of all I apologize for the photographs. Don't you hate looking at things that are out of focus? I do. I almost did not post this. But sometimes ~ who cares. Nevertheless, I posterized it to make it more palatable to my senses. And hopefully to yours as well.

Brunch is a housewife's dream meal. Anything that would not require an early morning rise or the preparation of 2 meals within a matter of 3 to 4 hours. Of course what would be even more of a dream would be to be to be able cook only when one feels like it.

Which would be everyday if only we didn't have to. Or everyday if we were being paid handsomely for it or everyday if we didn't have dirty dishes, housework and child raising thrown in or everyday if cooking were, truly, like painting, an art. Where we  could chuck the wooden spoon aside like we would a paint brush when we are out of steam. Where everyone would be nodding in unanimous understanding and sympathy and be saying..."She needs inspiration.". 


Huffing and puffing and sweating it out in solitary confinement in an isolated corner of the home, talking to one's self with dirty dishes piling up behind you is nobody's idea of a dream job. 

Therefore I brunch. Therefore I blog. Therefore I am.

So this is a Malaysian scrambled egg. I call it brunch. Some may call it breakfast. But I may also call it dinner ~ when I'm tired. Heck, I'll call it anything I like.


It needs birds' eye chillies, spring onions and should be somewhat clot-ish rather than fluffy to be good. Which it is. And no milk in it please.

The recipe ~ 


3 eggs
1 stalk spring onion, sliced on teh diagonal, thinly
1 large red chilli or a couple of birds' eye chillies, chopped
salt
pepper
1 T cooking oil


Break eggs into a bowl and beat briefly but not too much. We don't want it thoroughly and evenly mixed.


Heat up the oil in a small pan, When hot throw in the spring onions and chillies and saute for a 5 seconds. Pour in the half beaten egg and allow it to set a little before starting to scramble. Clotty-ish is what we are looking for here, with clumps of eggs rather than a fluff of eggs. Add salt as you go along.  Once the eggs are almost set take it of the heat and scoop into  a plate immediately to prevent further cooking. We don't want it to be dry either.


Sprinkle with black pepper and eat with toast or do it the Malaysian way by tearing up pieces of namby pamby soft, ready sliced, white bread and using that to scoop the scrambled eggs up with. In short...eat with your hands. Like us. 


Very yum if you ask me.

26 comments:

Adventures in Domestic Cooking said...

A nice twist on classic scrambled eggs.

La Cucina del Topino said...

Great recipes for the eggs! so original and creative!

ICook4Fun said...

Zurin, did you and Ju 'pakat' together to make egg dish ha ha.. I love eggs and this will be something I make if I run out of ideas of what to make for dinner. Simple, nutritious and full of flavor.

Linda said...

Whatever you wish to call it ...it look soooo delicious to me!
I could eat the whole thing right this minute!

pam said...

I'd call it breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner or anytime too!

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

Zurin!!! Gert is right! It looks as if we both 'pakat' to cook a dish using 3 eggs. LOL!! Too coincidental, too funny. :)

Tina said...

Zurin... this post is so inspiring, especially when I just sent my live-in domestic helper home for good yesterday!! :) I think I know what's for brunch (or whatever I want to call it hehe) this weekend!! :))

busygran said...

A nice, energy-packed start to a day! Yellow, red and green - great colour combo!

chow and chatter said...

oh this looks great fun post made me smile

WendyinKK said...

few cili padi in this??? Wow, can become dragon after eating this .

Cool Chic Style Fashion said...

Una vera delizia !

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

I love eggs! This is one ingredient that can take on a myriad of guises and still deliver every time! No worries about your photos, Zu. I am guessing in your attempt to sharpen the image through editing, they have taken of a gritty finish...or maybe you were using a higher ISO setting?

Zurin said...

Hi Shirley,
No, I actually posterized the image. it looks deliberatly gritty...i thought it wld look better that way..takes teh attention away from the out of focus eggs..lol

Preeti Kashyap said...

you just made me hungry...this is lovely!

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

It works out splendidly! The grittiness lends a rustic feel to the photos.

Angie's Recipes said...

Scrambled eggs as a crossiant filling! wow...I love the idea.

Cathy said...

You've prepared eggs just the way I like them. And I agree with you, they are good any time of day.

Deana Sidney said...

Anytime you add chili you make me happy. They look delish!

Passionate About Baking said...

Oh wow! Zu, from the way you made, it just made me crave for simple food like this! And it goes so well with the crossant bread you have. It looks so pretty and yummy! I shall it one day. Thanks for sharing the "twist" to scrambled eggs.
Btw, is it Malaysian style? Or Zurin's style? ;)

Create With Joy said...

Dear Zurin,

You have a FABULOUS blog! I just signed up to follow you - I look forward to exploring your delicious recipes in more depth - and I invite you to join me at Create With Joy!

Hugs
Ramona
http://create-with-joy.blogspot.com

P.S. I'm hosting a Vintage Christmas Giveaway in case you'd like to join! :-)

Clare @ Mrs Multitasker said...

Haha when I saw the top picture i thought, "Oh cool - she did the canvas effect." If you hadn't said anything, I would've thought it was intentional!
Great idea zurin. Thanks for the post. Sometimes I try all these fanciful recipes and forget what I can actually make with no trouble at all using stuff i already have at home...

Zurin said...

Clare, lol..perhaps u did nt read my write up but i did do the 'canvas effect' or 'posterized' as I call it. bcos the egg was nt in focus so I thought Id do some distracting frm the blur eggs. :)) glad u thought it was cool..:)

Finger Lakes said...

What time is brunch? Those scramble eggs looks very tasty.

Rettabug said...

Zurin, your photos seem to have disappeared from Flikr at the moment. ?? Bummer!

I came by to send you this link to a book I think you NEED to read!

book/show/5501200.Murder_Takes_the_Cake_Daphne_Martin_Mystery_1_

tigerfish said...

I like that you serve it in a croissant!

pigpigscorner said...

I like your Malaysian twist! Very nice!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails